Saturday, June 16, 2012

Crazy, indeed!

The whole month of May was just as crazy as it had started. In fact, it grew crazier and crazier as the days went by.

First, at work. I had not anticipated that. One of my supervisors was  teaching in France for the month. I thought it would make things quiet around the office, but no. Questions came to me, instead of him, and we spent most of our time on Messenger, talking about the lab, the elections in France and red wine. My other supervisor went to a conference London, came back, and then went to another one in Geneva. In between those trips, she had a huge proposal due. So I got pretty busy with her lab too. I had not done any overtime since I started working there, and of course, it had to start this month.

Pretty picture of our front yard, before I start showing you ugly pictures of the house.

Then, of course, the house. I love this house. I adore it. Despite the fact that nothing seems to get done in it. For example, we spent a lot of time painting it, and now, even if it is done, well, it's not. The quality of the paint is not what I was expecting, and I don't like the result. It gets dirty very easily, and with the floors being done at the same time, there is a lot of touch-up required. At least, the main floor is now all white, except for the washroom, but we decided that we would paint it when we re-do it.


Then we discovered that we HATE the washroom. We were planning on living in it for 2 years before we changed it, but I'm not sure that will happen. In fact, there is no way I'm using this washroom for the next 2 years. But I don't want to start making plans before the floors and windows are done. My man told me that "starting the floors" took a lot of time, but then it's quick. Turns out we do not have the same definition of "quick". A month later, we have floors in the living room, the hallway, and half of a room.

Half done floor in the office
Not that it is in any way his fault. Somehow, we've had something almost every single weekend since we bought that house. Work, outings, concerts, etc.
Living room as it is currently

One of these outings has been a day spent a the Courtepointe Québec Quilt exhibition, where I went with other members of the Farmers' circle. Wow. That's all I can say. Click on the link to see the winners of this year's edition.
Personally, my favourite was this one (colours are not as nice on the picture as they were there, it was not as dark) :

A week later, I was in Montreal again, volunteering at my old job. At the same time was taking place the annual congress of the Association of Quebec Weavers, not too far from where I was, so I took an hour to go take a look. Oh my. I didn't take pictures (I was too intimidated) but do I still have a lot more to learn! It was overwhelming. I managed to get a few books, still hoping to learn how to read a pattern, and some cotton to eventually make myself a blanket. 


Talking about weaving, I'm done! 



With a lot of help from my weaving teacher, I was able to finish my 15 yards! It is now neatly folded in a box, waiting for my sewing machine to be installed, so I can hem them, wash them, and give them away!

Other crafty news:
Not much knitting has happened. Only in buses on my way to Montreal or work, which resulted in this:
I was lucky enough to see my expert knitting friends twice this month, so I was able to correct 2 mistakes in the lace!
and this:

This is this. It's very cute, and it was a nice way to learn to do cables (the cables will become owls one I add eyes to them) and i-cord cast-on and bind-off. Unfortunately, once again, the pattern lacked information for people who do not have babies on hand to measure them. I guess it is my training in instructional design that makes me so critical, but really, I think it would be nice to just say how long the sweater and sleeves should be.  It looks obvious to me that this thing is way too short, so I'm not sure what I'll do. I think I'll just get back to my red cardigan for a while.

Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment