Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New year, new projects

Happy New Year!

I'm not really a Christmas person, so I am happy that the holidays are over, especially that this year they end with a week off from work! (I'm going back only next Monday).

I usually take my yearly resolutions in September, when I am full of energy, rather than in January, but this year, I feel I have to revisit them. The past semester has been difficult, or rather, not fun, and I really feel that the holiday brought an end to these few dark months. Nothing bad happened, I think that all the changes of the past 3 years have finally settled in, and left me exhausted. Can one get burn out from too many good things happening?

Just to summarize:
- Fell in love with a man living 125 km away from my Montreal (huge change after several years of being very happily single and organised)
- 2 years of long-distance relationship (all weekends used to see each other either in Mtl or 3R)
- Changed job 3 times, which included travelling, stress from not knowing if some contracts would be renewed, several applications and cover letters, several interviews and psychometric tests, several rejections, and no chance to rest from one job to another
- Moved from my beloved Montreal to 3R to live with my man (double change!)
- Got sick enough to miss work and get disorganised and worried (being disorganised is a huge stress for me...) twice.
- Got involved in a craft association, which is a lot more work than I expected
- Got several translation contracts on top of day job
- Started an online translation certificate
- etc.


So, this semester, when no big change happened to me, I had the time to digest it all and feel tired. Add to that that fall was dark and rainy. I also went back to Montreal, and for the first time felt that I was not from there anymore, but still without feeling that I am from 3R yet.


I'm not writing all that to complain. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy, and would not change anything to my life, or to anything I've done in those 3 years. My list of things I am grateful for is at least twice as long as this one. But I feel that writing it down is like giving me the authorization to be so tired...
 
 Anyway, all this to say that:
1. My man gave me the perfect present when he brought me to this place for 3 days between Christmas and the New Year. I had told him that I wanted to get out of the house, so I would not see all the cleaning I needed to do, and that I did not want to organise any of it. We went tubing, I had a massage, and that's about it! We spent the remaining of the time in the room watching bad (really bad!) tv, drinking vodka and apple juice, and eating bread and cheese. It was wonderful. 


2. I now need to revisit my yearly resolutions taken in September, to see if any of it is realistic, what I have done so far, and if I need to add something. I'm not going to get into details here ( I feel that if I share resolutions with anyone else but my man, they'll somehow get jinxed, and not happen.). I can only say I'm reasonably happy with myself for what I had decided to do back in September, and I will change a few things to them to make them "SMART" and easier to follow in the new year. 



However, one thing I can share is my craft resolutions!

Here they are:

1. Weave more. We want to move in June at the latest, and I need to empty my loom first. I have a little less than 14 yards to weave.
2. Learn to crochet.
3. Do a hardhanger project.
4. Knit myself another sweater
5. Learn how to knit something new, such as socks, or cables, or fair Isle, etc.
6. Finish my 2011 sewing projects.
7. Finish the R2Dtuque for my man. 


It's a lot, but I think I can do it, especially that I am starting the year with almost all my 2011 knitting projects finished already.

Happy creative new year everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment